Thursday, February 15, 2007

Work

Work is going well. So far I've only been called out twice since I arrived here. Last night we were called out at 3:00 A.M. needless to say I was a little disoriented at first but as soon as I got out in the -30 air to go out to the truck I was awake. I have to give the guys in these small detachments a lot of credit. Even though only one person is on call most after hours calls that need attendance require both members so you have to expect to be called out every night. I think that would wear thin pretty quick but the members are up here for two and three years dealing with this all the time. All I know is I will not miss the on call stuff.

Right now we are running about 1 file a day. Mostly thefts and break and enters. Not too bad, I even managed to get a confession on a break and enter so who knows maybe I'll get a summer trip back for court.

Hope everyone is doing well. Will write more later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that surprisingly I didn't miss getting called out at 3:00 am after I retired, although it was often interesting work.

Having two people on a call is always needed (witness Ziggy's death in Cape Dorset), but it wasn't that common in two man detachments all that long ago. I was essentially on my own for 5 months here once (with the exception of 20 days when there was relief members here). Thankfully those days are past.

Anonymous said...

Steve, your wife is evil and deceiving...and good at both. She assisted in the logistics of getting me out of the house and back to the house for my "suprise" birthday party. I was completely taken aback and enjoyed myself immensely. Its too bad you couldn't be there, it was quite the bash...including the Wii smackdown countdown at midnight....Hope you are still enjoying your northern experience....Jill

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Interestingly your smallest detachment is larger than my largest one. (not including my telecomn service). I think I found your blog through one of the other northern blogs. As you can see there is quite a collection of Arctic Links on my sidebar.

Where abouts in E Div were you. I have troopmates and other friends out there.