Monday, February 5, 2007

Work

After a few days here I am starting to get into the swing of things. It is somewhat different in the fact that you do everything here. There is no public service staff so you do your own exhibits, CPIC entries, filing, maintenance ect. Today I started out by
obtaining make and model information for all the furnaces in the detachment, and the out buildings.

It also turns out we administer driving tests here for people who want a licence. Being a dedicated traffic man that task fell to me. Of course a road test here is a little different. There are no intersection lights and only two four way stops in town. There are no highways so the road test consists of making sure they yeild at the three yeild signs, stop at one of the stop signs and signal their turns. Parallel parking is also no existant so we just get the person to back in beside another parked vehicle. If they manage to do all that and not exceed the max posted limit in town of 50 km/h (Which is only on the 1/2 km trip up to the airport then they get a Nunavut Licence which I understand is only good in Nunavut.

Also had a couple warrants to execute today. I made the mistake of getting out at the first residence without my gloves on thinking how cold can my hands get in 1 or 2 minutes. Pretty damm cold. Walking from the truck to the house and waiting for someone to come to the door my hands nearly froze.

The weekend was remarkably quite so for those of you that like constant action you may want to give this place a miss. I know it's busy at times here but over the weekend (including friday) we had two complaints 1 theft of a computer and 1 domestic that turned out to be just an argument.

Its supposed to warm up a bit over the next few days but the wind remains pretty cold. It got up to -27 today but the wind chill since I've got here has never got above -40. I used to think the wind chill didn't really count but trust me it does.

If it does get a little warmer I hope to take out the detachment ski doo and go for a burn.

I will post more photo's but probably not till the weekend as I have to borrow a computer as the works ones will allow me to add text but not upload photo's.

Thats it for now. Take care

No comments: