Thursday, February 1, 2007

Travel To Igloolik

Hope everyone is doing well. I am now up in Igloolik after Three days of travel. I though I might not even get to leave initially because the Comox airport was fogged in but Westjet did manage to land. The trip to Calgary was great as each seat had its own satellite T.V. I could watch any number of channels for free. Although I decided to skip Discovery Chanel as they were running top 10 air disasters so I went with global news instead. Unfortunately no T.V.'s for the trip to Ottawa. Go figure TV for a 1.5 hour trip, no T.V. for a 3.5 hour trip.

Left Ottawa on the 31st and flew up to Iqaluit. The flight was uneventful however, on landing it turned out the exit door was frozen stuck and it took 20 minutes to get the doors open so we could disembark. As I had already had lunch I wandered around town and looked around. I walked up the hill behind town where I took the photo of the small inukshuk. I was later asked why on earth I would walk that far. It did seem like a good idea at the time although it was a bit of a climb to the top. However, it was a balmy -27 and I didn't really have much else to do. I did check out the local North Mart. It is Iqaluit's answer to Wal Mart only more expensive. 2 liters of Milk was $7.00 and Green Peppers were $6.99lb. However, it was handy to see that they had a large selection of Ski Doo's sitting beside the boxes of Diapers. I can just see it now explaining to Patti that I went for diapers for Rowan and came back with a brand new ski doo instead. Incidently the diapers were $69.99 for a box. I did have an excellent dinner at the Frobisher, Arctic Char with veg and a beer. Cost was $44.00. I don't think that was completely unreasonable as a similar meal down south would have probably run around $30.00

Flew out to Igloolik on the 1st. It is definitely colder here, -30 with a wind chill of -40, compared to Iqaluit where it was -25. Met Mike Siedman whom I am replacing. He seemed glad to see me as he was leaving on the plane I just got off of. I had a quick tour of town and then my co-worker Mike Simpson left me to my own devices. I had lunch and wandered around town checked out the two stores and walked down to the beach. I'm sure it’s a great place to get some sun in the summer.

That's about it for now. Please feel free to post comments so I know you haven't forgotten me.

1 comment:

Mom & Dad said...

Well Gald to hear you made it ok> Mom is up at your place tonight looking after the boys. Not much new hear still really foggy but with the wet weather coming soon guess it will be gone. Have you seen any northern lights yet.

Love
Mom & Dad